The 2011 session of the Virginia General Assembly started January 12th. It’s a 46-day session that will be dominated by the budget, transportation, and redistricting. As for NOW members’ priority issues, legislators can pass helpful and empowering legislation – or disastrous restrictions such as those aimed at further restricting reproductive health care.
Virginia NOW will be working hard with our allies to pass the good bills and defeat the bad ones. Please do your part!
- Know the names and contact info for your delegate and your senator. Find them here.
- Check our facebook page frequently for action alerts, sign up for our Twitter feed and watch for our emails. Click here for our facebook page.
- When we send out alerts, please contact your representatives.
We are proud that the NOW-sponsored Equal Rights Amendment will be introduced!
Along with the ERA, we will be advocating for:
- women’s safety – improved protective orders so that we will be better able to prevent another brutal assault such as the one that resulted in the death of UVA athlete Yeardley Love;
- women’s health – the defeat of the unnecessary TRAP (Targeted Regulations Against Abortion Providers) bill, which would result in the closing of many clinics;
- women’s lives – stronger laws against human trafficking – more properly called sexual slavery – that victimizes innocent women, as well as men and children.
NOW members and friends will join other activists for two important Lobby Days in Richmond:
January 27 – Pro-Choice Lobby Day, organized by the Pro-Choice Coalition. Time: 8:00 am – 2:00 pm. Place: General Assembly Building, 9th Street and Broad Street, Richmond. We’ll talk to legislators, have a rally, and attend committee hearings.
Planned Parenthood has buses from various locations. Click here to check it out.
February 2 – Women’s Lobby Day, organized by the League of Women Voters of Virginia with AAUW of Virginia. Time: 8:30 am. Place: General Assembly Building, Senate Room 3 West, Richmond
Important! You do not need to know how to lobby to be a part of these important action days. We’ll have fact sheets, talking points, and training. So please join us!!
For complete information, contact Marj Signer, VA NOW legislative v-p, at email@example.com.