Today is Love Your Body Day!
Do you love what you see when you look in the mirror?
Hollywood and the fashion, cosmetics and diet industries work hard to make each of us believe that our bodies are unacceptable and need constant improvement. Print ads and television commercials reduce us to body parts — lips, legs, breasts — airbrushed and touched up to meet impossible standards. TV shows tell women and teenage girls that cosmetic surgery is good for self-esteem. Is it any wonder that 80% of U.S. women are dissatisfied with their appearance?
Women and girls spend billions of dollars every year on cosmetics, fashion, magazines and diet aids. These industries can’t use negative images to sell their products without our assistance.
Together, we can fight back!
For years now, designers, advertisers, and fashion magazines have airbrushed photos to turn models into the latest beauty ideal. Women and girls are constantly bombarded with these artificial images — fantasies they can’t possibly live up to in real life.
That’s why the NOW Foundation is celebrating its 12th annual Love Your Body Day on Oct. 21. This campaign is a giant shout out to the fashion, beauty, diet and advertising industries: No more fake images! Show us real women, diverse women, strong women, bold women. And to the women and girls who are targeted by messages telling them that the key to success and happiness is manufactured beauty, we say: It’s okay to “Be You” — the true you is beautiful.
Who’s ready to celebrate true beauty?
- Feeling crafty? Enter to win next year’s poster design contest! Deadline December 1.
- You could watch a thought-provoking film tonight to celebrate LYBD. This list ranges from Mamma Mia to Disfigured to G.I. Jane to Fried Green Tomatoes. There’s sure to be something for everyone!
- Take the LYBD quiz!
- Whether you have 6 seconds or 6 weeks, there’s something for everyone to celebrate healthy bodies.
- If you’re on Twitter, follow VirginiaNOW and NationalNOW and use the hashtag #lybd to talk about LYBD and what you’re doing to celebrate!
- Go shopping and order body-positive gifts for the women and girls in your life.
But most of all today, LOVE YOUR BODY. Treat yourself to your favorite food. Wear the clothing you feel your best in. Do your favorite form of exercise (walking over lunch? Zumba class after work? Running with the dog?). Indulge in a bath, massage, or spa treatment. Compliment yourself and all the women around you today.
Be You, because you are beautiful.